Columnist and Reporter, Wynia’s Week
Jul 2021 – Present
Write about Dutch energy, housing, labor and migration policy as well as the politics of Spain and the United States.
Founder, Atlantic Sentinel
Nov 2009 – Present
Blog and newsletter about American, Dutch, French and Spanish politics.
Prize Competition Designer (Health), XPRIZE
Mar 2021 – Jan 2022
Designed four $30M to $65M prize competitions to incentivize breakthrough innovation in home care, medical imaging and mental health.
Project Manager, XPRIZE
Jun 2018 – Jan 2022
- Co-designed and managed the first iteration of Global Visioneering: a 9-month program of research, interviews and virtual conferences to design the next XPRIZE competitions in climate, energy, health and space.
- Led expert consultations for XPRIZE future studies (housing, food, forests, human longevity) and the design of prize competitions, including Feed the Next Billion, a $15M prize for meat alternatives.
Opinion Journalist (Spain), NRC
Mar 2017 – Jun 2021
Wrote columns from Barcelona about the politics and attempted breakaway of Catalonia.
Political Risk Analyst (Europe), GeoQuant
Oct 2017 – May 2018
Project Manager, School of International Futures
Apr – Sep 2017
Project Manager, Wikistrat
Jan 2014 – Feb 2017
- Responsible for delivery of 39 confidential reports to private- and public-sector clients including Deloitte, EY, Grant Thornton, NATO and USAFRICOM.
- Managed a team of Wikistrat supervisors and editors, and dozens of contributing experts per project.
- Developed methodologies to apply crowdsourcing to policy formulation, red-teaming, scenario planning, trend analysis and wargames.
Contributing Analyst, Wikistrat
Apr 2011 – Jan 2014
Europe Correspondent, The Prague Post
Jan – Jul 2013
Foreign Desk Intern, EW Magazine
Mar – Jun 2012
MPhil History of European Expansion and Globalization, Leiden University
2009 – 2011
Thesis: Britain’s Nineteenth-Century War on Terror
BA History, Leiden University
2006 – 2009
Thesis: Causes of the First Anglo-Afghan War
Nick’s outstanding analytical abilities and commitment have enabled him to take on increasingly difficult challenges with significant success. His strategic mindset enables him to always see a situation from a bird’s-eye view and map out situations in ways that help the project’s execution process.
Dr. Shay Hershkovitz
Head of Research, XPRIZE
Nick’s capabilities go well beyond the organization skills and competencies required of a program manager — he is also a thoughtful political analyst in his own right, consistently adding insight and vision to all the projects we have worked on together. He’s a rare talent and I can’t recommend him highly enough.
Former Director, Eurasia Group
Nick is always on-time, responding immediately to every issue, and taking care of things politely and with great tact.
Dr. Roey Tzezana
Senior Researcher, XPRIZE
Nick is an excellent communicator over a wide variety of media and his meticulous attention to detail created a productive and efficient work environment.
Africa-Global Health Analyst
Nick is an exceptional analyst and writer with keen geopolitical insights.
Dr. Carl Forkner
Lead Analyst, Wikistrat
Nick always communicated objectives clearly and helped everyone on the team realize those objectives. He proved adept at navigating challenges in a way that kept everyone engaged and productive.